loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Sioux Falls?

There are currently 34 professional licensing agencies regulating the activities of eligible professionals in the City of Sioux Falls and other parts of South Dakota. These include, but are not limited to, the South Dakota Plumbing Commission, which is responsible for licensing plumbers, the South Dakota Real Estate Commission, which is responsible for licensing real estate agents, and the South Dakota Board of Technical Professions, which is responsible for licensing engineers, surveyors, and architects. When considering hiring a professional in the City of Sioux Falls, you must understand that it is your responsibility to verify the individual's license status. You can verify a professional's license status by contacting the agency responsible for the profession via their official telephone number. In addition to this, some licensing agencies also maintain an online license search verification system or licensee list that allows you to check a professional's license status. For example, you can verify a plumber's license status via the South Dakota Plumbing Commission's licensee list, and a land surveyor's license by searching the South Dakota Board of Technical Professions licensee roster. Similarly, you can verify a real estate agent's license status using the South Dakota Real Estate Commission's online verification system. In addition to a state-issued license, some professionals may also need a locally issued license to be eligible to work in Sioux Falls. These professionals include contractors, who are required to obtain a license from the city's Building Services Division. You can verify a locally-issued contractor's license status by calling the division at (605) 367-8672.

Having verified a professional's license status, you must ensure that the individual obtains the necessary permits for the job. For example, you need to obtain a building permit before carrying out a home improvement or construction work in Sioux Falls. Building permits in Sioux Falls are issued by the city's Planning and Development Center via its Building Services Division. You contact this division for information on how to obtain a building permit by calling (605) 367-8672.

Do Sioux Falls Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in the City of Sioux Falls do not issue permits for home improvement or construction work. A neighborhood association is an organization created to provide solutions to issues that affect a neighborhood and undertake efforts to address the concerns of the neighborhood. In June 2021, the McKennan Neighborhood Association urged residents to support a grant application for the installation of motion sensor safety lights on properties located in the neighborhood. This project is expected to improve safety and deter property crimes in the area. Likewise, in July 2021, the Tuthill Park Neighborhood Association encouraged residents of the neighborhood to support the repair and restoration of the Tuthill Park House. Residents of Sioux Falls that wish to start a neighborhood association should contact the City of Sioux Falls Neighborhood Planner for information on how to do this, either via mail or by calling (605) 367 - 8889. The Sioux Falls Neighborhood Planner assists residents of the city's neighborhoods to organize emerging neighborhood associations and also provides useful information to established neighborhood associations. You can find active neighborhood associations in your community using the city's interactive map.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Sioux Falls?

Consumer complaints in Sioux Falls are handled by the Consumer Protection Division of the South Dakota Office of the Attorney General. You can file a complaint with the division online, or by downloading, printing, completing, and mailing a consumer complaint form to:

  • South Dakota Office of Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • 1302 East Highway
  • 14 Suite 3
  • Pierre SD, 57501 - 8053

Upon receiving a consumer complaint, the Consumer Protection Division of the South Dakota Office of the Attorney General assigns your complaint to an investigator for review. Depending on the outcome of the review, the division may choose to continue with your complaint or refer the complaint to another agency. A complaint is typically resolved through a simple mediation process that is fair to both parties. While the division can mediate between you and the business successfully, you can file legal action against a business if an agreement is not reached during the mediation process. Note that the division can neither file any legal actions on your behalf nor force the business to accept its recommendations on how to resolve the complaint. If a mediation process is not satisfactory, you can file the matter in an appropriate court. For example, matters involving a total of $12,000 or less can be filed as small claims in the South Dakota Second Judicial Circuit Court located at:

  • Second Judicial Circuit
  • Clerk of Courts
  • Minnehaha County
  • 425 North Dakota Avenue
  • Sioux Falls, SD 57104 - 2470

Lastly, you can report complaints involving criminal offenses to the City of Sioux Falls Police Department by calling (605) 367 - 7212.